TCP program coordinator Michelle Jenner with Laurel, Stephen and Robert Selwood enjoying the views from PDH.
Monday, 25 February 2013
A fall in Adelaide on October 21 last year left Portland’s Robert Selwood with two broken elbows.

At 70, this was the first time Robert had broken a bone, even though he has suffered from arthritis since his early 40s and was diagnosed with osteoporosis a few years ago.

The fall left him in a debilitated situation but thanks to an extended stay in PDH’s Transition Care Program, Robert has now fully recovered and is back living at home.

The care was so impressive that Robert’s family has donated a telescope to PDH as a way of saying thanks.

Robert’s wife Laurel said his arms were in plaster for eight weeks but because of his existing conditions he was unable to regain use of them once the casts were removed.

“Because of his conditions, his arms hadn’t healed properly but the specialist thought it was best to take them out of plaster after eight weeks. However, he couldn’t lift things or take care of himself and it would be too difficult at home so he needed to have a longer stay in hospital,” Laurel said.

The Transition Care Program was an ideal 18-week opportunity for Robert to go through rehabilitation to regain his functional capacity.

The program is designed to help people who are no longer acutely ill,  but need more time to get ready to return to their normal lives.

Program coordinator Michelle Jenner said physiotherapists and occupational therapists conducted one-on-one rehabilitation sessions with Robert to build his strength, mobility and endurance. These sessions were then followed up by TCP nursing staff.

“It was difficult because he couldn’t use either arm, which was an unusual situation,” Michelle said.

“But he has made a full recovery and has been able to return home,” she said.

As a gesture of thanks for the prolonged care, Laurel and Robert have donated a telescope to the hospital which is now getting good use in the day room.

“It was a great program that really helped us,” Laurel said. “It has been a long time but Robert realised he needed to stay in hospital. It was good that he could come out for meals and visits and to go to church and also come home to try different things to make sure he could cope.”

The telescope was from `The Birding Shop’ in Camberwell that was owned by Laurel’s foster parents Joan and Charles Sandbrink.

“It’s a really nice timber and brass telescope which is ideal for the great views from the hospital,” Laurel said.

Quick Links


Connect with Us

For Staff

Contact Us